What is Java?¶
Java is Object oriented by design.
|Programs are divided into procedures||Into objects|
|Data moves throughout the program.||Object communicates|
|none||Data hiding, polymorphism, inheritance|
.java -> compiler -> .class (byte code) -> JVM (interpreter) -> machine code
perform additional steps at runtime to give your application a performance boost. finding performance bottlenecks and recompiling (to native code) frequently used sections of code.
Simple Object oriented Distributed Multithreaded Dynamic Architecture neutral Portable High performance Robust Secure
learn more at whitepaper
A platform is the hardware or software environment in which a program runs. Java platform a software-only platform that runs on top of other hardware-based platforms.
Development Tools - javac, java, javadoc etc
- API - basic objects, networking, security, XML generation, database access etc
- Deployment Technologies - Java Web Start and Java Plug-In for deploying your applications to end users.
- User Interface Toolkits - JavaFX, Swing, and Java 2D (GUI)
- Integration Libraries - database access and manipulation of remote objects. (IDL, JDBC, JNDI, RMI, RMI-IIOP)
- Get started quickly: powerful object-oriented language, it's easy to learn.
- less code: 4 times smaller than the same program written in C++. (based on methods, classes count etc)
- better code: good coding practices, automatic garbage collection, object orientation, JavaBeans™ component architecture, API
- Develop more quickly: 2x c++
- Write once, run anywhere
- Distribute software easily: With Java Web Start software.
JEE vs JSE¶
Java™ Standard Edition (Java™ SE ) and the Java™ Enterprise Edition (Java™ EE).